Total Joint Replacement Program
Valley Home Care’s Steps Ahead program provides an alternative to a sub-acute rehab stay after total joint replacement surgery. The rehabilitation team can treat patients in the comfort of their own homes.
A Safe at Home assessment is performed at the patient’s home before surgery. This assessment:
- Evaluates the patient’s in-home setting
- Assesses for proper medical devices needed
- Provides education on appropriate exercises before surgery
Rehabilitation begins as soon as a patient arrives home after surgery and includes*:
- Visits by a registered nurse, physical therapist and home health aide on Day 1 after hospital discharge
- Pain management
- Physical therapy one-on-one visits – up to five visits per week for the first two weeks, followed by one to three visits per week as needed
- Surgical site assessment and monitoring by a registered nurse, including staple removal, if ordered
- Progression to outpatient therapy
*Benefits are subject to policy limitations.