Valley Home Care brings diabetes education and support to where patients need it most – at home. Our certified diabetes educators and registered dietitians educate patients and their family members and/or caregivers on how to manage this chronic condition.
- Evaluation of nutrition intake and suggestions for diabetes management
- Instructions on how to monitor blood-glucose levels and keep an effective record to track throughout the day
- Medication management, including insulin when needed
- Education on the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
- Strategies for promoting good health and creating behavior changes
- Strategies for improving quality of life and preventing complications
Diabetes Self-Management Program
In addition to in-home diabetes counseling, we offer outpatient classes at the Dorothy B. Kraft Center in Paramus. Our diabetes self-management program is for newly diagnosed patients or those who would benefit from help managing their diabetes.
The program provides a complete educational experience based on the needs of the patient and the recommendations of their doctor. Participants:
- Complete a one-hour individual assessment with a diabetes educator before participating in the program
- Attend a two-hour class, once a week for four weeks
- May bring family members or guests for support
- Diabetes knowledge and self-management skills assessment
- Monitoring and use of blood-glucose results
- Nutritional management
- Dining out and heart-healthy eating guidance
- Carbohydrate counting
- Medication review
- Changing behaviors, setting goals and problem-solving
- Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
- Sick day guidelines
- Post-program follow-up
For more information about the Diabetes Self-Management Program, including upcoming sessions, call 201-447-8219.
Diabetes Support Group
A free, monthly support group for adults (18+) enables participants to learn more about their condition and share their experiences with others. The group is facilitated by a Valley Home Care registered dietitian and takes place at the Dorothy B. Kraft Center in Paramus.
The adult diabetes support group meets the fourth Thursday of the month (except August and December) from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
For more information, call 201-291-6000, ext. 111-7384, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.