Valley Home Care brings diabetes education and support to where patients need it most – at home. Our certified diabetes educators and registered dietitians educate patients and their family members and/or caregivers on how to manage this chronic condition.
- Evaluation of nutrition intake and suggestions for diabetes management
- Instructions on how to monitor blood-glucose levels and keep an effective record to track throughout the day
- Medication management, including insulin when needed
- Education on the signs and symptoms of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
- Strategies for promoting good health and creating behavior changes
- Strategies for improving quality of life and preventing complications
Diabetes Self-Management Program
In addition to in-home diabetes counseling, we offer virtual classes via Microsoft Teams. Our diabetes self-management program is for newly diagnosed patients or those who would benefit from help in managing their diabetes.
The program provides a complete educational experience based on the needs of the patient and the recommendations of their doctor. Participants:
- Complete a one-hour individual assessment with a diabetes educator before participating in the program
- Attend a two-hour class, once a week for four weeks
- May bring family members or guests for support
- Diabetes knowledge and self-management skills assessment
- Monitoring and use of blood-glucose results
- Nutritional management
- Dining out and heart-healthy eating guidance
- Carbohydrate counting
- Medication review
- Changing behaviors, setting goals and problem-solving
- Hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia
- Sick day guidelines
- Post-program follow-up
For more information about the Diabetes Self-Management Program, including upcoming sessions, call 201-447-8219.
Diabetes Support Group
A free, monthly support group for adults (18+) enables participants to learn more about their condition and share their experiences with others. The group is facilitated by a Valley Home Care registered dietitian and takes place virtually via Microsoft Teams.
The adult diabetes support group meets the fourth Thursday of the month (except August and December) from 7 to 8:30 p.m.