A digestive problem that involves the esophagus, stomach, liver, pancreas or intestines can be painful. It can make it hard to eat and disrupt your daily activities. Our GI specialists can help.
See us if you have severe or ongoing digestive symptoms like:
- Blood in the stool
- Abdominal pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Anal itching
Valley’s gastroenterologists are sensitive to your needs. We get you in fast and will work quickly to help relieve your symptoms. We also collaborate with other specialists to give you complete GI care all in one place.
Having digestive issues? Valley gastroenterologists talk about GI symptoms you shouldn’t ignore. Learn about common and complex digestive issues and when to see a doctor.
The Valley Approach to GI Care
Valley GI doctors use advanced tools and vast expertise to care for the full range of digestive disorders. From chronic conditions like gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) and Crohn’s disease to incontinence and GI cancers, we’re here for you.
Our team starts by listening to you and learning how your symptoms affect your life. From there, we’ll work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan to address your needs and preferences.
Some digestive diseases are complex and require care from a team of specialists. We will coordinate services with Valley general surgeons, colorectal surgeons, hepatologists, dietitians and many others. We may also bring in geneticists to help diagnose a disease or plan your care.
Your Treatment Options
Nonsurgical treatment: Many digestive conditions can be treated with a combination of lifestyle changes, medications, and noninvasive therapies. This may include nutrition counseling to help make changes in your diet. We also offer advanced endoscopic procedures, which use small scopes and tiny tools to treat certain problems.
GI surgery: If you need surgery, you’re in good hands at Valley. Our surgeons specialize in function-sparing procedures and minimally invasive methods, including robotic-assisted surgery. This can mean better precision, less pain, and a faster recovery.
Our Areas of Care
Barrett's Esophagus and GERD
Our gastroenterologists and thoracic surgeons in the Center for Barrett’s Esophagus and GERD partner to diagnose, treat and manage acid reflux conditions.
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection
- Fundoplication Surgery
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)
- Upper Endoscopy (EGD)
Valley gastroenterologists, colorectal surgeons, dietitians, and nurse practitioners in the Center for Digestive Health treat all types of digestive conditions.
- Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Diverticular Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
The Center for Liver Diseases/Hepatology offers minimally invasive procedures, liver transplant assessments, and clinical trials to treat the full range of liver conditions.
- Hepatitis A, B and C
- Liver and Bile Duct Cancers
- Liver Disease (Autoimmune and Alcoholic)
- Sclerosing Cholangitis
Our highly skilled surgeons perform advanced, minimally invasive procedures to treat routine and complex colon and rectal conditions.
- Bowel Resection
- Colon Cancer and Rectal Cancer
- Ileal Pouch-Anal Anastomosis
- Robotic Surgery
- Sacral Nerve Stimulation
- Sphincter-Sparing Procedures
Valley specialists use state-of-the-art technologies and techniques to perform a full range of noninvasive GI tests and procedures.
If you’re healthy and have a low risk for colorectal cancer, we can fast-track your screening colonoscopy.
- Have a phone consultation with a nurse to determine eligibility
- Skip the pre-procedure appointment with the doctor
- Schedule your colonoscopy with ease
GI specialists at the Center for Heartburn, Reflux and GERD use innovative nonsurgical and surgical therapies to help you feel better fast.
Our Valley-Mount Sinai Comprehensive Cancer Care program offers clinical trials and the highest level of expertise for cancers in the digestive system.
- Colorectal Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST)
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Stomach Cancer
Pediatric gastroenterologists from Mount Sinai extend our care to help babies, children and adolescents with digestive issues.
- Celiac Disease
- Failure to Thrive
- Liver Disease
- Poor Growth Syndromes
Why Choose Valley for Gastroenterology Care?
- Recognized excellence: Valley is ranked among America’s 100 Best Hospitals by Healthgrades for gastrointestinal care and surgery. Our team has also received the Healthgrades Excellence Award™ for providing the very highest level of care.
- Fast, convenient care: If you need to see a GI specialist, we can see you within days. We offer same-day appointments for cancer consultations. We also offer virtual visits and can schedule some appointments at locations that may be closer to your home.
- Nonsurgical endoscopic approaches: Our gastroenterologists are skilled in advanced endoscopic procedures. This means we can treat many conditions, like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), gastroesophageal reflux diseases (GERD) and bile duct problems without surgery.
- Specialized, team-based services: Valley has specialized GI centers that offer comprehensive care from a whole team. You have direct access to GI experts in digestive health, gastrointestinal cancer, liver disease, heartburn and Barrett’s esophagus.
- Expertise you can trust: Every year we see thousands of patients with digestive issues. We know what to look for and how to effectively manage chronic problems. Our team works closely with experts at Valley as well as Cleveland Clinic and Mount Sinai to treat even the most complex GI conditions.
- Counseling you to better health: Our team is here for you. We talk about nutrition and how to improve your diet. We help you manage your condition at home and create detailed follow-up care plans. If needed, our genetic counselors help you understand inherited GI conditions and assist in making decisions for your family.