If you’ve had a major cardiac event, like a heart attack or open-heart surgery, Valley can help you recover. With our cardiac rehab program, you’ll get the support and education you need to regain your strength and get back to health.
Cardiac rehab is a specially designed program to help improve the health of your heart and your cardiac fitness. The main components of your cardiac rehabilitation plan will include:
- Supervised exercise to build your strength and stamina
- Nutritional counseling to teach you healthy eating habits
- Educational programs about your overall health and wellness
At Valley, our cardiac rehab team looks at the full picture of your heart health. From there, they’ll design a cardiac rehab program specific to your needs.
The Valley Approach to Cardiac Rehab
Your rehab team at Valley will include physiologists, nurses and registered dietitians. They’ll work with each other and you to design a plan tailored to your specific needs. They’re dedicated to helping you have a smooth recovery.
The primary goals of cardiac rehab are to:
- Help you get stronger
- Reduce your risk for future heart problems
- Improve your overall quality of life
Overall Health Evaluation
To get started, you’ll have an initial evaluation to help us determine any limitations or risk factors. This allows us to create a rehab plan specific to your condition.
We’ll then consider and address any possible health complications that could emerge during rehab. This could include treating high blood pressure, angina or other heart conditions.
What to Expect with Cardiac Rehab at Valley
At Valley, you’ll go through three steps of cardiac rehab. Our rehab team supports you at each step — during and after your hospital stay.
Step One: Cardiac Rehab During Your Hospital Stay
Our rehab team first connects with you during your stay at the hospital. We’ll give you an early start by providing initial recommendations to improve your heart’s health.
Step Two: Cardiac Rehab After Your Hospital Stay
After discharge from the hospital, your provider can refer you to our outpatient rehab program.
Our rehab services include evidence-based, personalized care plans based on your specific needs. This means your rehab plan will include exercises and support that have been proven to be effective.
Your individual plan will be prescribed, monitored, and supervised by medical professionals. Your rehab team will also provide counseling and guidance to make certain you continue to progress and improve.
Step Three: A Personalized Exercise Program
After you complete your rehab program, we’ll give you tools and guidance to continue your progress on your own.
You may choose to continue your exercise program with support from personal trainers and other fitness specialists at:
Valley Health LifeStyles Fitness Center
1400 Mac Arthur Blvd.
Mahwah, NJ 07430
For more information about Valley Health LifeStyles Fitness Center, call 201-389-0839.
How to Get Started with Cardiac Rehab
If you have experienced any heart problems, our cardiac rehab program may be right for you. We’ve helped people who have had:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery bypass surgery (CABG)
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) with stenting
- Stable angina (chest pain)
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Valve repair or replacement surgery
- Heart failure
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD)
- Heart transplant
Here’s what you need to know to get started:
- Referral: You’ll need an evaluation and referral from your physician.
- Insurance coverage: While cardiac rehab is usually covered, we recommend contacting your insurance about your coverage.
- Length of rehab: Cardiac rehab typically includes 24-36 sessions based on your needs.
Why Choose Valley for Cardiac Rehab?
- Recognized for quality cardiac rehab care: Our cardiac rehab facility is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). This certification recognizes Valley’s proven track record of providing the most advanced and highest quality cardiac rehab to our patients.
- Team approach to rehab: Your rehab team works closely with your cardiologist and other heart care specialists to treat all of your heart needs. Together, they can make any adjustments to your care to ensure your rehab goes as smoothly as possible.
- Modern equipment and techniques: Our state-of-the-art cardiac rehab facility is equipped with current fitness and rehab equipment. We also use cardiac telemetry monitoring and electronic reporting technology that monitors your heart activity. This technology then relays this information to your physician to help them monitor your progress in rehab.
- Benefits of cardiac rehab: Research shows that cardiac rehab can be as effective as medications in improving your quality and length of life. Research also shows that cardiac rehab can reduce your risk for future heart problems.