Survivorship and Health Interventions in Nutrition and Exercise
The SHINE program is for patients with breast cancer and for those at high risk for developing breast cancer. The program focuses on incorporating the three pillars of nutrition, exercise, and community to improve overall health outcomes and decrease cancer risk. The SHINE Program addresses care for the whole person, empowering individuals to live their healthiest lifestyle.
Eating well is an important part of decreasing the risk of breast cancer as well as supporting physical and emotional well-being. Whether one is high-risk, newly diagnosed, or has completed treatment, Valley provides tools and resources to optimize health.
Jessica Cording, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian and integrative nutrition health coach at the Valley Breast Center. She provides education on reducing risk through diet and lifestyle, and offers accountability and support for high-risk individuals and patients with breast cancer. She also provides counseling on nutrition and lifestyle modifications to help with stress management, sleep hygiene, personal habits, and weight management.
The SHINE program provides evidence-based recommendations in an individualized and approachable way. Jessica meets her patients where they are, collaborating with them to create a plan to help them achieve their goals.
Exercise decreases the risk of developing breast cancer and the risk of breast cancer recurrence.
Valley Health LifeStyles in Mahwah offers the Physician Referred Exercise Program (PREP). With medical oversight and professional supervision, this program helps individuals adopt regular physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle.
Studies have shown that regular exercise during treatment helps with fatigue, boosts metabolism, and strengthens the immune system.
Valley’s trained exercise specialists create personalized fitness plans, taking into account each individual’s post-surgical changes, current ability and experience with exercise.
Included with PREP:
- Fitness assessment, including aerobic fitness, muscle strength and endurance, flexibility, and functional activity check
- Exercise prescription developed by a degreed exercise specialist taking into account the physician’s and patient’s recommendations and goals
- Periodic follow-up with exercise specialists
- 1-month free membership to Valley Health LifeStyles
- Access to the Mywellness app to join exercise classes, lap swimming and track workout and activity metrics.
- Option to join as a full member of LifeStyles following completion of the PREP program.
Note: To participate in PREP, referral from the Valley Breast Center is required.
Through community, shared experiences and camaraderie help to integrate new ideas and lifestyle modifications. Our patients feel empowered by the programs provided through SHINE and our integrative approach to risk reduction and treatment.
- Cooking demonstrations: Our registered dietitian hosts monthly cooking demonstrations focused on foods that optimize risk reduction.
- Exercise programs: Participate in exercise programs tailored to meet your individual needs during and after treatment.
- Small group coaching: We believe that it is easier to adopt lifestyle modifications through continued support as can be found in our small group coaching.
- “Valley Walks”: Join Valley Health System physicians for morning walks where they offer health information and answer questions, all while starting the day on the path to wellness.
- “Young Women Living with Breast Cancer”: This monthly support group is for women who are diagnosed with breast cancer under the age of 50. Join us for encouragement, conversation, and more from those who are at all stages of their treatment.