It’s time to put your health first. Whether you’re seeking emergency care, seeing a doctor, undergoing a procedure, or receiving inpatient care, every safety measure is being followed. Call 1-800-825-5391 for a Safe Visit with a Valley doctor.Read More
At The Valley Hospital’s surgical locations in Ridgewood and Paramus, we know it’s the little things that are important to your little ones – and to you. That is why we take extra care to treat your child with the same care and attention you would.
The Valley Approach to Pediatric Surgery
When you bring your son or daughter to us for care, they are our No. 1 priority. We bring our expertise in pediatric medicine to their medical care and keep their energy upbeat. Our kid-friendly, aquatic-themed playroom and friendly surgical team help your child stay relaxed and cheerful throughout the entire process.
Our goal is to make you and your child as comfortable as possible on the day of surgery. To help calm your child’s anxiety or fears, we encourage you to schedule a tour of our pediatric surgery center. During the tour, we’ll explain to you and your child what will happen on surgery day, and your child will receive a special gift that includes a surgical cap, mask and coloring book. Call 201-634-5315 to schedule a tour for you and your child.
Your Child’s Surgery: What to Expect
The Day of Surgery
- We keep the amount of time you have to be away from your child to a minimum. You can stay with your child up until the time of surgery and rejoin your child in the recovery room.
- Your anesthesiologist will visit you and your child before surgery to explain what type of anesthesia will be given and how it will be administered.
- Pre-medication may also be given before the procedure.
- The operating room nurses will visit you and your child and explain what to expect, helping to further reduce anxiety.
Length of Stay
- Your child's length of stay will depend on their individual situation and needs.
- Most children who undergo same-day surgery will leave within one to two hours after their procedure.
- Some types of surgery require overnight admission.
After Your Child’s Surgery
- The surgeon will speak with you as soon as your child's surgery is complete and will give you post-operative instructions, including when to go for your follow-up appointment at the surgeon’s office.
- A registered nurse will review any medications ordered for home and reinforce instructions from the surgeon.
- You may have your child’s prescriptions (if any) filled at the Valley Health Pharmacy before you go home. Our retail pharmacies are located at The Valley Hospital in Ridgewood, the Luckow Pavilion in Paramus, and the Center for Health and Wellness in Mahwah for your convenience.
- Keep your surgeon's phone number handy for any questions or problems. If there is an emergency, dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room and notify your surgeon immediately.