The period of birth to 3 years old is a critical time in a child’s development. The early detection of autism spectrum disorder is vital to getting the child started on a pathway of treatment to address challenges and improve quality of life.
At the Kireker Center for Child Development, we offer a multidisciplinary approach to autism diagnosis, treatment, case management and family support. With proper and timely intervention, a child with autism spectrum disorder can overcome a wide range of developmental, behavioral and learning difficulties, as well as achieve greater independence and a more productive, fulfilling life within their family and community.
- Speech-language therapy
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Audiological evaluation
- Medication for specific symptoms
Collaboration with Public and Private Community Resources
- Referrals and dialogues with early intervention programs, school districts and specialized private schools
- Social skills groups
- Developmentally appropriate recreational activities, such as gymnastics and horseback riding
- We monitor all our patients regularly and schedule follow-up appointments on a regular basis.
Support and Education
- Counseling and support for parents and caregivers
- Referrals to parent support groups and community programs that help parents navigate the needs of a child with autism
- Referrals to educational resources to help parents become informed advocates for their child
- Regular seminars for parent groups and school districts on the latest information on autism treatment and support services
Our office is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. If you are interested in having your child evaluated at our center, call 201-447-8151 to request an evaluation.
A social worker will first conduct an intake interview with you on the phone, then send out a packet of information and a questionnaire for you to fill out and return with any test results or evaluations your child has already undergone. Once we receive your completed packet, we'll call you to schedule evaluations with our developmental pediatrician, neurologists, audiologist, rehabilitation therapists, and other specialists as recommended.
Lisa Nalven, MD, MA, FAAP, is the Director of Developmental Pediatrics at the Kireker Center for Child Development. She attained her master’s degree in social and behavioral sciences at the University of Chicago and her medical degree at the University of Wisconsin. She completed a residency in pediatrics and a fellowship in developmental/behavioral pediatrics at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh.
Dr. Nalven is board-certified in pediatrics, neurodevelopmental disabilities, and developmental/behavioral pediatrics. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Children’s Therapy Center in Fair Lawn, N.J.