Uterine cancers occur in the uterus. The most common type, endometrial cancer, starts in the lining of the uterus, called the endometrium. Uterine cancer is the most common form of gynecologic cancer.
The Gynecologic Oncology Program at Valley treats all forms of uterine cancer.
Uterine Cancer Symptoms
- Postmenopausal bleeding (vaginal bleeding after menopause) is the most common symptom of uterine cancer.
- Postmenopausal bleeding can be of any amount, from simple spotting to heavy vaginal bleeding. It can occur at any time after natural menopause.
- Postmenopausal bleeding should never be considered a normal occurrence, regardless of the timing or amount. It occurs as the presenting symptom for cancer in more than 95 percent of women.
Uterine Cancer Treatment at Valley
Treatment options will depend on your cancer’s stage, how far into the uterus it has spread and your individual health. Your treatment may involve the following:
A hysterectomy, in which the uterus is removed or partially removed, is typically the most common surgical treatment for uterine cancer.
Valley’s Gynecologic Oncology Program offers hysterectomy using robotic surgery for patients with endometrial cancer. With the da Vinci System, your gynecologic oncologist is able to perform the hysterectomy through tiny incisions with extraordinary precision and control.
Medical and Radiation Therapy
In addition to surgery, your physicians may recommend hormone therapy, chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy to treat endometrial cancer. Your physicians will discuss with you which treatment options will be the best fit for your individual situation.
Why Choose Valley for Endometrial & Other Uterine Cancers?
- Minimally invasive robotic hysterectomy: Robotic hysterectomy offers many benefits over traditional surgery. With robotic surgery, patients typically experience less pain, fewer complications, a shorter hospital stay and a faster recovery and return to normal activities.
- Delivering care with compassion: The Gynecologic Oncology team believes in a holistic, team-oriented approach to care. In addition to delivering the best possible care for each of her patients, Dr. Welshinger makes it a priority to get to know her patients on a personal level and help them address their overall health.
- Mount Sinai partnership: Valley has partnered with the Mount Sinai Health System to provide patients with access to additional clinical trials and to Mount Sinai’s nationally renowned experts in cancer care.
- Fertility preservation options: Valley’s Fertility Preservation program allows younger women who are undergoing cancer treatment to preserve their options for building a family in the future. Valley’s fertility and cancer teams schedule fertility preservation to work with your cancer treatment. For patients who require a hysterectomy, the fertility program offers options for gestational surrogacy using your own frozen eggs.