High-Risk Pregnancy: The Mother and/or Baby at Risk
Perinatology or maternal-fetal medicine (MFM) is a specialty branch of obstetrics and gynecology.
MFM deals with high-risk pregnancy conditions of both the mother and/or her unborn baby, or fetus, that if not dealt with could put the mother and/or fetus at risk.
Perinatologists or MFM physician specialists work collaboratively with the patients' obstetrician or primary care physician to develop a plan of care designed to address the patient's individual needs and particular medical history.
Specific Reasons to See a Perinatologist or MFM Physician Specialist
- previous pregnancy loss;
- advanced maternal age (greater than 35 years of age);
- a pregnancy involving multiples (twins, triplets, etc.);
- an underlying disease such as hypertension or diabetes;
- a family history of genetic disorders and/or medical conditions;
- follow-up for abnormal first and second trimester serum screenings;
- pregnancy conditions such as fetal growth concerns, cervical length, placenta problems or pre-term labor; and/or
- parent or family concerns, for reassurance and peace of mind.
Benefits of The Valley Hospital MFM Center
- on-site board certified perinatologists (maternal fetal medicine physician specialists);
- instant risk assessment in first trimester;
- genetic testing and genetic counseling;
- specialty nurses in diabetes, hypertension and fetal monitoring;
- state-of-the-art ultrasonography including 3D and 4D capabilities;
- ultrasound sonographers who are fully certified from the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS);
- full, three-year accreditation by the American Institute of Ultrasound Medicine (AIUM); and
- the most comprehensive and integrated MFM Center and services in the region.
- most major insurances are accepted,
- reserved patient parking, and
- convenient Bergen County location (140 E. Ridgewood Avenue, Paramus).
If you need an Obstetrician/Gynecologist, please click here to view those on Valley's medical staff.
The Valley Hospital offers a wide array of women's and children's services, including The Center for Childbirth, The Fertility Center, Maternal-Fetal Medicine, The Center for Family Education, Pediatrics, and The Kireker Center for Child Development. Maternal and Child Health services are provided in the home by Valley Home Care.