It’s time to put your health first. Whether you’re seeking emergency care, seeing a doctor, undergoing a procedure, or receiving inpatient care, every safety measure is being followed. Call 1-800-825-5391 for a Safe Visit with a Valley doctor.Read More
Coronary artery bypass surgery is performed when heart arteries become blocked or narrowed, typically from coronary artery disease.
During a coronary artery bypass surgery (also referred to as a coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG), surgeons use a section of vein or artery to create a new route for blood flow that “bypasses” the blocked or narrowed section.
Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery at Valley
Cardiac surgeons at Valley offer alternative methods for coronary artery bypass that provide significant patient benefit:
Endoscopic vein harvesting: At Valley, we offer endoscopic vein harvesting to obtain the leg vein needed for bypass surgery. Endoscopic vein harvesting uses one small incision instead of the traditional lengthy incision. Virtually every patient receiving cardiac surgery from Valley now benefits from endoscopic vein harvesting.
Off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery, or beating heart surgery: With beating heart surgery, we don’t stop the heart or use a heart-lung machine. Off-pump surgery is a minimally invasive procedure. In traditional bypass surgery (on-pump surgery), the heart is stopped, and surgeons use a heart-lung machine to stabilize the patient.
Potential benefits of off-pump surgery include:
- Shorter hospital stay and overall recovery
- Reduce bleeding
- Reduce chance for infection
- Reduce risk of an irregular heartbeat
Why Choose Valley for Coronary Artery Bypass?
- Recognized expertise: The Society of Thoracic Surgeons has given Valley’s cardiac program a three-star rating — the highest designation of quality and clinical excellence — in coronary artery bypass surgery.
- Patient and family-focused care: Your surgery and overall heart treatment decisions are collaborative. Our heart team works together to make recommendations with you and your family at the center.
- Five-star designations: Healthgrades has awarded Valley Five-Star Designations in Coronary Bypass Surgery and Pacemaker Procedures.
- Endoscopic vein harvesting: The endoscopic method requires only a few very small incisions, resulting in quicker recuperation and less scarring, without any compromise in the ability to obtain the amount of vein needed for the bypass procedure.
- Off-pump coronary artery bypass options: Off-pump, or beating heart, surgery puts less strain on the heart muscle during surgery. That means high-risk patients with additional diseases like lung disease, kidney failure and peripheral artery disease may benefit from this technique as well.
- Transmyocardial laser revascularization (TMLR or TMR): This procedure is available at Valley as an alternative for patients with diseased coronary arteries who are not candidates for conventional coronary bypass surgery. It is also used in combination with conventional surgery in areas of the heart where the coronary arteries are small or too diseased to accept a bypass. TMR can be a solution for patients with disabling angina who cannot be revascularized.
- Cleveland Clinic partners: Valley is the only northeast partner of the Cleveland Clinic — the No. 1 heart program in the U.S. That means patients receive additional heart surgery expertise without needing to leave home.