Valley offers cancer support groups and integrative therapies that reduce fatigue, anxiety, stress and pain perception, enhance relaxation, and create a sense of well-being.
Cancer Support Groups
- Young Women's Breast Cancer Support Group: For women ages 45 and under living with breast cancer who are in treatment and up to two years post-treatment.
- Meets: Second Monday of each month from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Registration is required.
- To register: Call 201-634-5787
- Living with Cancer Support Group: For patients diagnosed with cancer who are currently undergoing active treatment to share in their experiences and offer mutual support.
- Meets: Third Tuesday of every month from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Registration is required.
- To register: Call 201-634-5787.
- Adjustment to Life After Cancer Treatment Support Group: For patients with no evidence of disease who are at least one month post-treatment and up to two years post-treatment.
- Meets: Fourth Monday of each month from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Registration is required.
- To register: Call 201-634-5422
Integrative Healing Classes
Yoga - ON HOLD
Yoga is a series of gentle and restorative poses, guided relaxation, breathing techniques and basic meditation.
Benefits of Yoga:
- Produces measurable physiological changes in the mind/body by promoting a sense of well-being and relaxation
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Can improve strength and flexibility
Available yoga classes include beginner I, beginner II and intermediate, as well as Yoga Therapy for Strengthening.
All classes are taught by a certified structural yoga therapist.
T’ai Chi Chih - ON HOLD
T’ai Chi Chih is a series of 20 simple, slow, gentle and continuous movements that build upon strength and improve balance. The goal is to accumulate, balance and circulate internal energy, or “chi,” through the meridians (energy pathways). People of all ages can easily learn T'ai Chi Chih.
Benefits of T'ai Chi Chih:
- When the chi is allowed to flow freely, there is no tension in the body.
- The mind, too, becomes calm, and a feeling of inner peace is realized.
- Other benefits include reduced stress, better balance, spine strength, greater flexibility, improved focus and creativity, and increased energy.
T'ai Chi Chih sessions run for 8 weeks, and each class is 1 hour and 15 minutes. You must register for all 8 weeks of the series to participate. Classes are taught by Dorene Krause, accredited instructor, and held at the Unitarian Society of Ridgewood, located at 113 Cottage Place.
Visualization/Guided Imagery - ON HOLD
Visualization and guided imagery can help tap into inner strengths and other qualities that can empower individuals to cope with life stressors.
Participants are lead through the guided imagery and relaxation techniques surrounded by the sounds of soothing music. An individual can learn to relax and work toward reducing, modifying, and/or eliminating pain and other symptoms.
This session is held at the Luckow Pavilion. Call 201-634-5787 before attending for the first time. There is no fee for this.