COVID-19 UPDATES: 1) Valley urgently needs key medical supplies. Learn more. 2) Visitor restrictions remain in place.Read More
Thank you for your interest in The Valley Hospital School of Radiography. On this page, you’ll find information regarding our application process, as well as forms that are required for admission to our program.
The following forms are required for admission to the School of Radiography:
The completed admissions packet, including transcripts and letters of recommendation, should be mailed to:
The Valley Hospital School of Radiography
223 N. Van Dien Avenue
Ridgewood, NJ 07450-2736
Request official transcripts from all of the schools you have attended (high school, all colleges attended, vocational schools, etc.).
Only official transcripts will be considered in processing your application. Official transcripts are those transcripts sent directly from one school to another without student receipt and include an official seal of the school. If you attended school under another name, please have the school include your current name as well as your former name(s). This applies to all transcripts and evaluations.
Holders of GED (General Education Development) diplomas must have official GED test results mailed directly to Valley. Write or call:
New Jersey Department of Education
Office of Specialized Populations, GED Testing
P.O. Box 500
Trenton, NJ 08625-0500
609-292-4469 for exact procedures
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required. Make sure you complete your section of the reference form. The individual completing the letter of reference must complete the form and write a letter of reference. High school students must include a guidance counselor, teacher or high school administrator. All other applicants must obtain letters from an employer, supervisor, previous college instructor or any other non-family professional contact who can address character and academic abilities. Letters from friends or family are NOT acceptable.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to notify references, high schools and colleges to forward the requested information directly to The Valley Hospital School of Radiography.
Applicants are considered on a competitive basis each admission period. The selection process is governed by the program’s admission committee. Applicants must meet the following admissions criteria:
- Completed application packet submitted to The Valley Hospital School of Radiography
- High school diploma or GED
- All official transcripts from institutions of higher learning
- Prerequisites: Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab (4 credits), Human Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab (4 credits)
- Evidence of interest and knowledge of the field demonstrated in the student's essay
- Recommendations and an advisement session
ARRT Ethics Requirements
The ARRT Ethics Board will determine the applicant’s eligibility to take the national certification examination in Radiography. The ARRT requires the candidate to answer the following ethics-related questions on the application form when applying for initial certification:
- “Have you ever been charged with or convicted in court of a misdemeanor or felony (including conviction of a similar offense in a military court-martial)?
- Has a regulatory authority or certification board—other than ARRT—ever:
- Denied, revoked, or suspended your professional license, permit, registration, or certification; or
- Placed you on probation (excluding ARRT Continuing Education probation), under consent agreement, or under consent order; or
- Allowed voluntary surrender of your professional license, permit, registration, or certification; or
- Subjected you to any conditions or disciplinary actions by such an organization?
- While attending an educational program to meet ARRT certification and registration requirements, were you ever suspended, dismissed, or expelled from that program?”
Students are encouraged to consider completing the ethics review pre-application review of eligibility for ARRT national certification if you answer yes to any of the three questions above.
Once the completed admissions packet is mailed to The Valley Hospital School of Radiography:
- Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution(s) attended to The Valley Hospital School of Radiography.
- Candidates meeting the admission criteria are scheduled for an advisement session with our admissions committee.
- Candidates will be notified by the School of Radiography if they are accepted.
- Those students who are admitted to the School of Radiography are instructed to contact the Fairleigh Dickinson University undergraduate admissions office to assist with the university’s admissions process.
Pre-Placement Physical Examinations
A required pre-placement physical exam is provided by The Valley Hospital Employee Health and Wellness department and consists of:
- The completion of a medical history, including documentation of all immunizations
- Physical examination by an occupational health professional
- Laboratory testing of blood and urine
- Tuberculosis skin testing
- Drug screen
No student is permitted to participate in any clinical activity until medical clearance is received.
Criminal Background Check
Students entering the program are required to have a criminal background check provided by the Human Resources department of The Valley Hospital.