Valley is open, safe and ready to care for you. Call 1-800-VALLEY 1 (1-800-825-5391) to schedule a Safe Visit with a VMG provider.Read More
The Valley Hospital School of Radiography is an intensive, 24-month program that offers academic and clinical education to prepare students for licensing and careers in radiography. As radiographers, they will utilize ionizing radiation to produce images of the human body for diagnostic purposes, under the supervision of a physician.
Upon completion of this program, students will receive a Certificate from The Valley Hospital School of Radiography and will be eligible to apply for a certification exam sponsored by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, and licensure by the New Jersey Radiologic Technology Board of Examiners.
Program Mission Statement
The radiography program sponsored by The Valley Hospital is dedicated to providing a unique education in diagnostic imaging so that our graduates can better serve the healthcare needs of our patients. We strive to develop the potential of each student by providing a learning environment where our students are afforded an opportunity to advance their educational and professional skills.
Goals & Student Learning Outcomes
Demonstrate Clinical Competency
- Students/graduates will apply positioning skills.
- Students/graduates will select appropriate technical factors.
- Students/graduates will practice ALARA radiation protection principles.
Use Critical Thinking and Problem-Solving Skills
- Students/graduates will be able to adapt routine positioning for trauma patients.
- Students/graduates will adapt technical factors based on the patient’s condition.
Communicate and Interact Effectively with Patients and Staff
- Students/graduates will demonstrate appropriate oral communication skills.
- Students/graduates will demonstrate effective communication skills within the healthcare environment.
- Students/graduates will demonstrate written communication skills.
- Students/graduates will demonstrate professional interactions with patients/staff and others.
- Students/graduates will become members of the New Jersey Society of Radiologic Technologists and the American Society of Radiologic Technologists to participate in professional activities, promote lifelong learning and encourage networking with imaging professionals.
The School of Radiography offers the following terminal award options:
- Certificate only from The Valley Hospital School of Radiography (this option requires that students entering the program have an associate degree or higher)
- Certificate from The Valley Hospital School of Radiography and an Associate of Science degree from Fairleigh Dickinson University (this option requires students to complete all liberal arts and science courses in addition to the core radiography certificate courses)
Fairleigh Dickinson University Affiliation
The Valley Hospital School of Radiography is affiliated with Fairleigh Dickinson University. This unique affiliation supports the development of knowledgeable, well-rounded and competent entry-level radiographers. Radiography academic, laboratory and clinical courses are conducted at The Valley Hospital and the Metropolitan Campus of Fairleigh Dickinson University.
Through this affiliation, students in Valley’s radiography program may also choose to complete an Associate of Science degree at Fairleigh Dickinson University. Please note:
- Acceptance by Fairleigh Dickinson University does not guarantee or constitute acceptance to The Valley Hospital School of Radiography.
- Students applying to the associate degree in radiography program must meet the admission requirements of The Valley Hospital and Fairleigh Dickinson University.
- Regardless of which terminal award is chosen, all accepted students are required to register each semester at Fairleigh Dickinson University.