At the Valley Fertility Center, we offer infertility testing for men and women. These infertility tests help our physicians diagnose and treat infertility issues.
The following are infertility tests for male partners.
Initial Lab Testing
- Your physician will order lab work to test for infectious diseases.
- Based on your partner’s test results, we may recommend genetic screening.
- Based on your medical history, your physician may prescribe additional blood work for you.
- A semen analysis assesses possible male factors that cause infertility. Possible male infertility factors include:
- Sperm count (how high or low it is)
- Sperm motility (how well your sperm swims)
- Sperm morphology (the size and shape of your sperm)
- We will schedule and perform the semen analysis at our laboratory to ensure the accuracy and consistency of results.
- At the time of your scheduled appointment, you may bring your sample from home or collect in our office. We have a private room designed for this purpose.
Semen Collection Instructions
Please review the following collection instructions before you schedule a semen analysis appointment:
- Do not ejaculate for at least 2 days (but do not go longer than 5 days without ejaculating) before your semen analysis.
- Shower with antibacterial soap before collection.
- You must collect your sample in a sterile container provided by our center.
- Fill out the Specimen Collection Form and the specimen label provided by our center completely. We cannot accept the specimen until all the information is provided.
- Collect all of your ejaculate in the specimen container. If any of the ejaculate is missed, the analysis may not be accurate.
- Special mineral oil, available in the provided collection kit, is the only lubricant that you can use for sperm collection. Any other lubricants, including soap, hand lotion or saliva can affect the sample.
- If you collect your specimen sample at home, you must arrive with it at our office within 60 minutes of ejaculating.
- Please protect your sample from extreme heat or cold during transport. We recommend carrying the container in an inside pocket next to your body.
- Semen analysis results will be available within 3 to 5 days. We will review your results with you at your follow-up visit, along with all other diagnostic testing results for you and your partner. If another physician requested this test for you, we will send the results directly to your ordering physician to review the results with you.
Semen Analysis Appointments
- Monday – Friday, 7 to 11:30 a.m.
- Please bring your current insurance card and a form of photo ID.