Cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation offer hope to patients, but they are not without their risks. These risks include the potential for long-term damage to the heart.
The Cardio-Oncology Program brings together cardiologists and oncologists at Valley to provide specialized care — while protecting your heart function during cancer treatment.
The Valley Approach to Cardio-Oncology
Comprehensive and personalized care is at the center of Valley’s cardio-oncology program. Our team of experts includes cardiologists, oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, pathologists and more.
We review each case together to develop individualized treatment plans for each patient that include strategies to protect heart function.
Why Choose Valley for Cardio-Oncology?
- Advanced cancer plus heart care: We offer leading-edge cancer care in partnership with specialists from Mount Sinai — combined with advanced heart care that is affiliated with the Cleveland Clinic. That means you have three times the expertise throughout your seamless treatment.
- Accredited cancer program: Valley’s cancer program is accredited from the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons. Valley has also received the Outstanding Achievement Award.
- Specialized radiation techniques: Our radiation therapists use techniques designed to protect the heart during radiation treatments in cancers that are nearby, such as breast cancer in the left breast. For these cases, radiation therapists use deep-inspiration breath hold (DIBH), which moves the heart further away from the breast during radiation.
- Monitoring cancer treatments for heart damage: The cardio-oncology team works together to identify and monitor cancer patients who may be at risk of developing cardiotoxicity or other complications during treatment and beyond. Patients are evaluated using a specialized echocardiogram with 3-D imaging, allowing physicians to accurately observe heart function and understand the effects of treatment.
- On top of the latest advances in care: Valley’s cardio-oncology team stays up-to-date with the latest advancements in cancer and cardiac care. In this way, we better understand the connection between heart disease and cancer, develop more effective treatments with fewer side effects and improve our patients’ quality of life.