All Valley locations are open, safe and ready to care for you. Call 1-800-VALLEY 1 (1-800-825-5391) to schedule a Safe Visit with a Valley Medical Group provider.Read More
NEW: Virtual Breastfeeding Support Group!
Valley's weekly Breastfeeding Support Group is now meeting online! Talk to other breastfeeding moms and Valley's breastfeeding specialists from the comfort and safety of your home.
In-Hospital Breastfeeding Support
Kangaroo Care: Skin-to-Skin Contact
The Valley Hospital supports skin-to-skin contact, also known as kangaroo care. With skin-to-skin, your baby is placed belly-down, directly on your chest, right after he or she is born. This is the best start to breastfeeding, as skin-to-skin babies breastfeed better and keep breastfeeding longer.
The Magic Hour
Valley refers to the first hour after birth as the “Magic Hour.” Your baby is placed skin-to-skin on your chest, and your birth team will care for the two of you as your baby transitions to life outside of the womb. In addition to promoting bonding between parents and baby, placing a baby skin-to-skin can help initiate breastfeeding and control your baby's heart rate, breathing and body temperature. Valley recommends that you preserve this special time of bonding by limiting visitors for this first hour.
Nurses and Certified Lactation Consultants
Our nurses in Labor and Delivery, Mother/Baby, NICU, and pediatric units are trained to assist you with breastfeeding in the hospital. In addition, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is available to assist you in the hospital for challenging situations.
Outpatient Breastfeeding Services
The Center for Family Education offers consultations with certified lactation consultants, available by appointment for a fee. Sessions are held at an offsite facility. These consultations may be covered by your insurance company. Please contact your insurance provider before making your first appointment to determine your benefit. To make an appointment, please call 201-291-6152.
New: Online Lactation Consultations
Valley now offers convenient virtual consultations through SnapMD, a secure, online telemedicine service. During a one-hour video conference, moms receive guidance, advice and support from our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) in the comfort of their homes. Our lactation specialists may:
- Address challenges that a breastfeeding mom may be experiencing
- Observe a nursing session
- Assess breastfeeding position, technique and/or use of equipment and supplies
- Provide advice and tips for breastfeeding success
Breastfeeding Support Groups and Classes
- Breastfeeding Support Group: Meets every Thursday, except holidays, from 12 to 1 p.m. at The Valley Hospital Center for Family Education located at 140 East Ridgewood Avenue, 5th Floor North, Paramus, NJ. No registration is required and there is no fee. A certified lactation consultant facilitates the group.
- Breastfeeding Support Warm Line: Support from a certified lactation consultant is only a phone call away, 201-447-8722.
- Mother’s Milk Class: This class is designed for the parents of babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). It reviews the benefits of mother’s milk for hospitalized infants. The class is offered two mornings per week by a certified lactation consultant.
Breastfeeding Basics Class
The Center for Family Education offers a breastfeeding basics class that covers:
- Getting off to a good start in the hospital
- Techniques that work
- Positions that are comfortable
- Signs of adequate infant intake
- Returning to work and collection and storage of breast milk
- Correct use of pumping equipment
Browse our event calendar to find upcoming Breastfeeding Basics class dates and to register.
- If you plan to rent a Symphony hospital-grade electric breast pump, download our flyer to find local Medela breast pump rental stations. Please be sure to check with your insurance company to determine your benefit.
- If you are interested in purchasing your own breast pump, visit the Edgepark Medical Supplies website. Edgepark Medical Supplies assists in making the process as easy and hassle-free as possible, and they will contact your health insurance and doctor to confirm coverage. We recommend that you start to make arrangements before delivery.
Other Breastfeeding Resources
National Breastfeeding Helpline - 1-800-994-9662
Speak with a trained breastfeeding peer counselor in English or Spanish, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you call after hours, leave a message and your call will be returned on the next business day.
Zip Milk: Locate a Lactation Consultation in Your Area