Milk, Mommy, and Me - In-Person Breastfeeding Support Group
Valley's monthly Breastfeeding Support Group meets in person! Join Valley's breastfeeding specialists and other moms for breastfeeding support. This group is for those breastfeeding and pumping, newborns up to 6 months.
Milk, Mommy, and Me meets the first Thursday of every month. Check our event calendar for support group dates and times, and to register for an upcoming session.
In-Hospital Breastfeeding Support
Kangaroo Care: Skin-to-Skin Contact
The Valley Hospital supports skin-to-skin contact, also known as kangaroo care. With skin-to-skin, your baby is placed belly-down, directly on your chest, right after he or she is born. This is the best start to breastfeeding, as skin-to-skin babies breastfeed better and keep breastfeeding longer.
The Magic Hour
Valley refers to the first hour after birth as the “Magic Hour.” Your baby is placed skin-to-skin on your chest, and your birth team will care for the two of you as your baby transitions to life outside of the womb. In addition to promoting bonding between parents and baby, placing a baby skin-to-skin can help initiate breastfeeding and control your baby's heart rate, breathing and body temperature. Valley recommends that you preserve this special time of bonding by limiting visitors for this first hour.
Nurses and Certified Lactation Consultants
Our nurses in Labor and Delivery, Mother/Baby, NICU, and pediatric units are trained to assist you with breastfeeding in the hospital. In addition, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is available to assist you in the hospital for challenging situations.
Outpatient Breastfeeding Services
The Center for Family Education offers consultations with certified lactation consultants, available by appointment, to help mothers overcome challenges to breastfeeding. Learn more about our in-person lactation consultations.
Breastfeeding Support Groups and Classes
- Milk, Mommy, & Me: Join this in-person group for support with Valley's breastfeeding specialists and other moms. This group is for those breastfeeding and pumping, newborns up to 6 months, and meets the first Thursday of each month. Register for an upcoming session.
- Virtual Breastmilk Support Group: Talk with other breastfeeding and pumping parents and Valley's breastfeeding specialists from the comfort and safety of your home. A certified lactation consultant facilitates the group. Check our event calendar for support group dates and times, and to register for an upcoming session.
- Breastfeeding Support Warm Line: Support from a certified lactation consultant is only a phone call away, 201-447-8722.
- Mother’s Milk Class: This class is designed for the parents of babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). It reviews the benefits of mother’s milk for hospitalized infants. The class is offered two mornings per week by a certified lactation consultant.
Breastfeeding Basics Class
The Center for Family Education offers a breastfeeding basics class that covers:
- Getting off to a good start in the hospital
- Techniques that work
- Positions that are comfortable
- Signs of adequate infant intake
- Returning to work and collection and storage of breast milk
- Correct use of pumping equipment
Browse our event calendar to find upcoming Breastfeeding Basics class dates and to register.
- If you plan to rent a Symphony hospital-grade electric breast pump, download our flyer to find local Medela breast pump rental stations. Please be sure to check with your insurance company to determine your benefit.
- If you are interested in purchasing your own breast pump, visit the Edgepark Medical Supplies website. Edgepark Medical Supplies assists in making the process as easy and hassle-free as possible, and they will contact your health insurance and doctor to confirm coverage. We recommend that you start to make arrangements before delivery.
Other Breastfeeding Resources
National Breastfeeding Helpline - 1-800-994-9662
Speak with a trained breastfeeding peer counselor in English or Spanish, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you call after hours, leave a message and your call will be returned on the next business day.
Zip Milk: Locate a Lactation Consultation in Your Area