COVID-19 UPDATES: 1) Yesterday (4/8), Valley's Healthcare Heroes wished 22 recovered COVID-19 patients well as they returned home. We wish them the very best, and thank our staff for their tremendous efforts. 2) Recovered COVID-19 patients needed for Valley/Mount Sinai serum collection. 3) Valley urgently needs key medical supplies.Read More
Valley Health System’s Anticoagulation Management Service is a monitoring program for patients taking warfarin (Coumadin®). This medication – often prescribed for patients who have atrial fibrillation, pulmonary embolism, stroke, joint replacements and other conditions – is used to prevent unwanted and dangerous blood clots. Our nursing team provides close monitoring to ensure patient safety and drug effectiveness.
- Nurse visits: Specially trained advance practice nurses and registered nurses visit patients at home, where they work collaboratively with patients, their family members and physicians.
- Blood testing: A blood test to find out how fast your blood clots is done once a month to determine the correct dose of warfarin. The nurse can perform this test with a simple finger stick and learn the results in just minutes.
- Patient education: The nurse reviews all medications and dietary habits, and discusses signs and symptoms of possible negative effects of warfarin.
- Regular communication: The nurse instructs the patient of any changes in warfarin dosing, based on the management protocol agreed to by the patient’s physician.
Anticoagulation Management Benefits
- Decreased risk of complications
- Increased patient access to education and support
- Face-to-face contact with a specialized healthcare professional
- Improved turnaround time for test results
Your physician must fax a completed authorization form to the Anticoagulation Management Service. You are then responsible for scheduling your appointment by calling Valley Health Community Care at 973-427-7676, #0. Patients are only seen by appointment, so there is little or no wait time. Follow-up visits are scheduled depending on your needs.