Advanced Search
Contact: Phone Numbers >
Pinterest Instagram
Outpatient Services Guide
Click here for detailed information on outpatient services and support groups at Valley.
Mailing Address:
The Valley Hospital
223 N. Van Dien Avenue
Ridgewood, NJ 07450

Social Work Services


At the Kireker Center for Child Development, our two licensed social workers support, advocate, and provide referrals to community resources for our patients and their families. They assist our developmental pediatricians in conducting phone intake assessments of new patients, guide them to the appropriate evaluations, and help parents navigate their way through insurance/financial issues. They also facilitate a monthly support group for parents focusing on topics related to early child development, developmental disabilities, children with special needs, therapeutic intervention, genetics, and assistance with community resources. For more information or assistance, call our social workers at 201-447-8278.

Our Services

Our two licensed social workers provide full-time social work support at the Kireker Center for Child Development. They guide patients and their families through a network of services here, in schools, and in the community:

  • parent support and counseling
  • initial intake assessments
  • trouble-shooting
  • advocacy for patients and their parents
  • financial guidance
  • crisis management
  • referrals to community programs and resources
  • monthly support group

Our Team

Our social workers are licensed and certified and have many years of experience advocating for children with special needs and supporting their parents. Our social workers are integral members of our child development team of physicians, nurses, therapists, and other professionals. They provide services at the Kireker Center for Child Development and refer parents to programs and resources within the community.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I know if my insurance company will pay for my child’s evaluation?
A. Although our physicians are out-of-network, we can review with you the questions you should ask your insurance company to determine what it will or will not pay. We will also submit the insurance forms to your company for you. However, you will be responsible for what your insurance company does not reimburse.

Q. How do I prepare my child for his/her evaluation with the doctor?
A. We have different levels of explanation that you can use to prepare your child, depending on age and ability to understand. For a very young child, you might tell him that you are going to visit someone where he will play with a lot of toys. For an older child, you might tell her that she is going to talk with someone who is going to help her figure out why she is having a hard time around a particular issue she has discussed with you. We recommend that you provide an explanation that is short and simple.

Q. How will I know if I should come to a monthly support group meeting?
A. You may call the Social Work Services office at 201-447-8278 to ask when a group is meeting and the topic or focus of the session. Different groups are formed based on interests and needs expressed by our families.

Q. How much will the support group meetings cost?
A. There is no charge for our support groups.

"To Your Health" Blog
Is it Time to Consult a Fertility Specialist? 04-20-14

If getting pregnant has been a challenge for you and your partner, you're not alone. Infertility...

View Blog »
Are you receiving the Valley Health News Service?

Sign Up Today

Copyright ©  Valley Health System. All rights reserved.