MD, Alcala De Henares Univ. Sch. Of Medicine, 1984 - 1990
New York University, Research Fellow, 1996 - 1999
New York University Medical Center, Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2001 - 2003
- Internship & Residency
Maimonides Medical Center, Pediatrics, 1992 - 1993
New York University Medical Center, Surgery, 1993 - 1998
- Board Certifications
American Board Of Surgery - Certified, 2001
American Board Of Thoracic Surgery - Certified, 2004
Get to Know Me
What are some of the specific conditions you treat?
- Off-pump complex coronary revascularization with non-touch technique of the ascending aorta
- Myectomy for the treatment of Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy
- Complex Mitral valve Repair
- Aortic valve repair and aortic root reconstruction
- Reoperative valve surgery
- Aortic arch aneurysm repair
- Surgery for the treatment of atrial fibrillation
- Adult Congenital Cardiac procedures
- Repair of congenital coronary anomalies
Describe some of your professional highlights.
Some of my professional highlights are as follows:
- Tenured professor of surgery at the University of Ottawa Heart Institute
- Director of the hypertrophic cardiomyopathy program at The Valley Hospital
- Co-Chairman of AATS Foundation Research Committee
- Chair of European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgical Sciences and Translational Research Task Force
What would you like patients to know about your approach to care?
I perform an individual assessment of each patient's pathology with bespoke treatment algorithms for each and every patient. I use the broad and comprehensive use of cardiac imaging to enhance diagnostic accuracy. I also perform dynamic testing on patients with HOCM prior to considering surgical intervention. I incorporate research into my daily clinical practice.
What inspired you to become a doctor?
My uncle and his work as a medical examiner showed me the consequences of poor medical judgment. Since then, I strive to provide each patient with the best possible analysis and planning for their particular cardiac condition
Publications & Research
- Crean, A.M., Gharibeh, L., Glineur, D., Grau, J.B., Maharaj, G., & Saleem, Z. (2022, August). Extended myectomy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Early outcomes from a nascent center of excellence in canada. CJC Open. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjco.2022.06.012.
- Fortier, J.H., & Grau, J.B. (2022). The mitral valve and its contribution to the generation of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Considerations for surgeons. Cirugía Cardiovascular, ISSN 1134-0096, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.circv.2022.02.006.
- Castillo J., Crean A.M., Gharibeh L., Grau J.B., & Rahmouni K. (2021). Severe mitral annular calcification in two cases of hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. The Annals of thoracic surgery, S0003-4975(21)01297-2. Advance online publication.
- Gharibeh L., Glineur D., Grau J.B., Hosoyama K., Lapierre H., Ruel M., & Shaw R.E. (2021, May). Comparative analysis following implementation of two types of y-composite multiarterial revascularization strategies at a single academic institution. Journal of the American Heart Association. 10(10): 1-11.
- Castillo, J., Grau, J. B., Maharajh, G., Rahmouni, K., & Ruel, M. (2021). Reimplantation for anomalous right coronary artery. JTCVS techniques, 7, 226–228.
- Chan, V., Deng, M., Elmistekawy, E., Gharibeh, L., Grau, J.B., Mesana, T., & Rahmouni, K. (2021). Systematic approach to the calcified mitral valve apparatus at time of mitral valve replacement. The Annals of thoracic surgery, S0003-4975(21)00747-5. Advance online publication.
- Gharibeh, L., Grau, J. B., & Smedira, N. G. (2021). Comprehensive left ventricular outflow tract management beyond septal reduction to relieve obstruction. Asian Cardiovascular & Thoracic Annals. Advance online publication.
- Grau, J. B. (2021). Commentary: Statins for secondary prevention after coronary artery bypass grafting: Pleiotropic effects and dementia risk. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. Advance online publication.
- Crean, A. M., Gharibeh, L., Grau, J. B., Hong, S. J., & Rahmouni, K. (2021). Surgical techniques for the treatment of anomalous origin of right coronary artery from the left sinus: A comparative review. Journal of the American Heart Association. Advance online publication.
- Grau, J.B. (2021). Patient prosthesis mismatch: Troubles to come for TAVR patients. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Advance online publication.
- Gharibeh L, Ferrari G, Ouimet M, Grau JB. Conduits’ Biology Regulates the Outcomes of Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (2021). JACC: Basic to Translational Science. 1-9.
- Grau JB. (2020). No Excuse for Inadequate Adherence to Guideline-Driven Medical Therapy. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 110(1): 19.
- Frasca A, Xue Y, Kossar AP, Keeney S, Rock C, Zakharchenko A, Streeter M, Gorman RC, Grau JB, George I, Bavaria JE, Krieger A, Spiegel DA, Levy RJ, Ferrari G. (2020). Glycation and Serum Albumin Infiltration Contribute to the Structural Degeneration of Bioprosthetic Heart Valves. JACC. Basic to translational science. 5(8): 755-766.
- Glineur D, Rahouma M, Grau JB, Etienne PY, Fortier JH, Papadatos S, Laruelle C, Pieters D, El Khoury E, Gaudino M. (2020). FFR Cutoff by Arterial Graft Configuration and Location: IMPAG Trial Insights. JACC. Cardiovascular Interventions. 13(1): 143-144.
- Schussler O, Lila N, Grau J, Ruel M, Lecarpentier Y, Carpentier A. (2020). Possible Link Between the ABO Blood Group of Bioprosthesis Recipients and Specific Types of Structural Degeneration. Journal of the American Heart Association. 9(15): e015909.
- Ravalli F, Kossar AP, Takayama H, Grau JB, Ferrari G. (2020). Aortic Valve Regurgitation: Pathophysiology and Implications for Surgical Intervention in the Era of TAVR.Structural heart: The Journal of the Heart Team. 4(2): 87-98.
- Glineur D, Grau JB, Etienne PY, Benedetto U, Fortier JH, Papadatos S, Laruelle C, Pieters D, El Khoury E, Blouard P, Timmermans P, Ruel M, Chong AY, So D, Chan V, Rubens F, Gaudino MF. (2019). Impact of preoperative fractional flow reserve on arterial bypass graft anastomotic function: the IMPAG trial. European Heart Journal. 40(29): 2421-2428.
Valley Medical Group providers accept the following plans.