Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) provides training in mindfulness meditation as a way to reduce stress and effectively deal with a variety of medical and psychological conditions. Valley's eight-week MBSR course teaches participants to develop mindfulness and live it in their daily lives.
Learning mindfulness techniques can help you:
- Cope with pain, challenging circumstances or chronic illness
- Manage short- and long-term stressful situations
- Enhance your listening skills
- Improve your ability to think clearly and communicate effectively
- Improve your overall health and well-being
MBSR Course Format
- Intensive training - Participants attend eight, 2.5-hour weekly sessions, as well as one all-day session on a weekend between the sixth and seventh week. Participants should be able to attend all nine sessions for maximum benefit.
- Group discussions - Carefully facilitated group discussions during each session focus on helping participants learn and develop mindfulness techniques.
- Home practice - Participants receive a workbook and CDs with guided meditations. Daily home assignments consist of practicing:
- Formal meditation methods (i.e. sitting meditation, gentle movements based on yoga, body scan meditation)
- Informal meditation methods (i.e. awareness of eating, household chores and interpersonal communication)
Attend a Free Orientation
Complimentary orientation sessions, led by one of our MBSR instructors, are open to anyone who is interested in the course. There's no commitment to register for the MBSR course. Call 201-291-6090 for upcoming dates and times.