MD, St. George's University, 2006
MPH, St. Georges University, 2005
BS, Roanoke College, 2000
Advanced Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplantation, New York Beth Israel Medical Center, 2009-2010
Cardiovascular Disease, New York Beth Israel Medical Center, 2010-2013
Interventional Cardiology, New York Beth Israel Medical Center, 2013-2014
- Internship & Residency
Internal Medicine, St Michael's Medical Center, Seton Hall University School of Health Sciences, 2007-2009
- Board Certifications
American Board of Internal Medicine - Certified 2009
American Society of Nuclear Cardiology - Certified 2013
Subspecialty Board of Interventional Cardiology - Certified 2014
Subspecialty Board of Cardiovascular Disease - Certified 2015
Get to Know Me
What are some of the specific conditions you treat?
Coronary artery disease, complex coronary intervention including revascularization of chronic total occlusions. Transcatheter repair of adult congenital structural and valvular heart disease including percutaneous treatment of patent foramen ovale, atrial septal defects, transcatheter aortic and mitral valve repair. Intervention for acute pulmonary embolism, mechanical circulatory support, cardiogenic shock, large bore alternative access and the endovascular treatment of peripheral vascular disease.
What techniques or procedures do you use in your practice?
Some of the techniques and procedures that I use in my practice are complex high-risk indicated percutaneous coronary intervention (CHIP), treating chronic total occlusions of the coronary arteries (CTO), transcatheter heart valve replacement (TAVR, MitraClip), and more.
I am considered an international authority on alternate access for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) and high-risk coronary intervention procedures using the Impella device.
Describe some of your professional highlights.
I am an Assistant Professor of Medicine at New York Medical College. Prior to joining TVH, I served as a member of the Robert Wood Johnson Barnabas Health Structural Heart Integrated Leadership Group. I am involved as a Principal Investigator in several ongoing national research trials, have authored a number of book chapters, peer-reviewed publications and am considered an international authority on alternative vascular access. I have been an active Physician proctor in Complex coronary intervention using mechanical circulatory support and transcatheter heart valve replacement since 2017. I was named a Future Leader of TAVR in 2014, Young Leader in Interventional Cardiology in 2018, and Master Faculty for the Coronary Artery and Myocardial Protected PCI Initiative in 2020.
What would you like patients to know about your approach to care?
I am an internationally recognized leader in the field of Interventional Cardiology. I offer a broad array of services geared to address even the most complex cardiovascular illnesses in a personalized and attentive manner. I know there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all cure, so I never use a one-size-fits-all approach to your diagnosis and treatment plans. My mission is to provide patients with personalized, high-quality, and comprehensive care. I am dedicated to improving and maintaining a patient's quality of life not only through preventative care, but by being able to offer leading-edge Cardiovascular care with the latest advances in equipment, devices, and options to participate in a number of national clinical trials.
Awards & Accolades
- Named Top Doctor, New Jersey Top Docs, 2020
- Nominated to a consensus writing group, Society of Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI) for Position Statement on Percutaneous Transaxillary Arterial Access and Training Requirements, 2020
Publications & Research
- Cohen, M., Kaur, K., Kurpad, K., Mathai, S.V., Mehta, H., Nagraj, S., Sohal, S., Suthar, K., Tayal, R., Visveswaran, G.K., Wasty, N., & Waxman, S. (2022, September). Comparison of suture-based and collagen-based vascular closure devices for large bore arteriotomies- a meta-analysis of bleeding and vascular outcomes. Journal of Cardiovascular Development and Disease 9(10). https://doi.org/10.3390/jcdd9100331
- Arneja, J., Chandra, P., Kalra, S., Kapardhi, P.L.N., Kumar, D., Kumar, P., Punamiya, K., Rao, R., Rastogi, V., Seth, A., Sharma, S., Sohal, S., Tayal, R., Trehan, V., Mahesh, N.K., & Mathew, R. (2022). Clinical expert consensus document on the use of percutaneous left ventricular assist devices during complex high-risk PCI in India using a standardised algorithm. AsiaIntervention, 8(2), 75-85. https://doi.org/10.4244/AIJ-D-22-00021
- Cohen, M., Kurpad, K., Mathai, S.V., Mehta, H., Sohal, S., Tayal, R., Visveswaran, G.K., Wasty, N., & Waxman, S. (2022, September). Declining trend of transapical access for transcatheter aortic valve replacement in patients with aortic stenosis. Journal of Interventional Cardiology, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1155/2022/5688026.
- Abbott, J. D., Angiolillo, D. J., Farhan, S., Garg, A., Giustino, G., Huber, K., Rao, S. V., Rout, A., Tayal, R., & Waxman, S. (2022, April). Dual antiplatelet therapy duration after percutaneous coronary intervention using drug eluting stents in high bleeding risk patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American Heart Journal, 250, 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2022.04.004.
- Alraies, M.C., Baran, D.A., Baron, S.J., Duwayri, Y., Jerry D. Estep, J.D, Klein, A.J., McCabe, J.M., Messenger, J.C., Schneider, D.B., Seto, A.H., Smith, T.D., Tayal, R., Tsai, S., & Vadlamudi, V. (April, 2022). SCAI position statement on best practices for percutaneous axillary arterial access and training. JSCAI Standards and Guidelines 1(3).
- Mechanical Circulatory Support Devices: Management and Prevention of Vascular Complications. Sohal, S., & Tayal, R. (2021). Interventional cardiology clinics, 10(2), 269–279.
- Drug-eluting Stents Versus Bare-metal Stents for Saphenous Vein Graft Interventions: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Studies with Longer Follow-up. Garg, A., Rout, A., Tayal, R., Sharma, A., Agrawal, S., Kostis, J. B., Cohen, M., Sharma, S., & Wasty, N. (2021). Current problems in cardiology, 46(1), 100405.
- Bridged to Heart Transplantation with a Left Ventricular Assist Device. Okoh, A. K., Selevany, M., Heaton, J., Al-Obaidi, N., Vucicevic, D., Tayal, R., Zucker, M. J., Camacho, M., Lee, L. Y., & Russo, M. J. (2021). ASAIO journal (American Society for Artificial Internal Organs : 1992), 67(2), 137–143.
- Acoustic shock waves to modify calcific plaques - Intravascular lithotripsy in the peripheral circulation. Karimi Galougahi, K., Soukas, P. A., Kolski, B., Tayal, R., Parikh, S. A., Armstrong, E. J., Petrossian, G., Kaki, A., Rosenfield, K., Gray, W. A., & Ali, Z. A. (2021). Cardiovascular revascularization medicine : including molecular interventions, S1553-8389(21)00451-6. Advance online publication.
- Intravascular Lithotripsy Enabled Transfemoral Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation via Percutaneous Axillary Access Approach. Tayal, R., Sohal, S., Okoh, A., Wasty, N., Waxman, S., & Salemi, A. (2021). Cardiovascular revascularization medicine: including molecular interventions, 28S, 89–93.
- Percutaneous Axillary Access for Placement of Microaxial Ventricular Support Devices: The Axillary Access Registry to Monitor Safety (ARMS). Circulation. McCabe, J. M., Kaki, A. A., Pinto, D. S., Kirtane, A. J., Nicholson, W. J., Grantham, J. A., Wyman, R. M., Moses, J. W., Schreiber, T., Okoh, A. K., Shetty, R., Lotun, K., Lombardi, W., Kapur, N. K., & Tayal, R. (2021). Cardiovascular interventions, 14(1), e009657.
- Safety and efficacy of the Amplatzer septal occluder: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Heaton, J. N., Okoh, A. K., Suh, S., Ozturk, E., Salemi, A., Waxman, S., & Tayal, R. (2021). Cardiovascular revascularization medicine : including molecular interventions, S1553-8389(21)00274-8. Advance online publication.
- Trends in Early Discharge and Associated Costs after Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement: A National Perspective. Okoh, A. K., Siddiqui, E., Soto, C., Dhaduk, N., Hirji, S., Tayal, R., Chen, C., Lee, L. Y., & Russo, M. J. (2021). Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa.), 16(4), 373–378.
- Author's reply: Characteristics, management, and outcomes among admissions for primary cardiac tumors: Results from The National Inpatient Sample. Heaton, J. N., Dhaduk, N., Okoh, A. K., Dang-Ho, K. P., Tayal, R., Salemi, A., & Waxman, S. (2021). Journal of Cardiac Surgery, 10.1111/jocs.16037. Advance online publication.
- Change in Renal Function and Its Impact on Survival in Chronic Kidney Disease Patients Bridged to Heart Transplantation with a Left Ventricular Assist Device. Okoh, A. K., Kassotis, J., Shah, A. M., Siddiqui, E., Dhaduk, N., Hirji, S., Gold, J., Mehta, H., Ruberwa, J., Soliman, F., Tayal, R., Russo, M. J., & Lee, L. Y. (2021). ASAIO journal (American Society for Artificial Internal Organs : 1992), 10.1097/MAT.0000000000001384. Advance online publication.
- Lichaa, H., Tayal, R., & Wollmuth, J. (2021, July). Dry field closure of large-bore access with iliac artery angioplasty through the ipsilateral sheath: The single-access dry-closure technique. Journal of Invasive Cardiology. 33(7): 1-6.
- Cohen, M., Kurpad, K., Mehta H., Sohal, S., Tayal, R., Visveswaran, G., Wasty, N., & Waxman, S. (2021). Outcomes of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation with or without left ventricular unloading devices in patients with non-myocardial infarction cardiogenic shock. European Heart Journal, 42(1).
- Chung, C., Dahle, T. G., Kaneko, T., McCabe, J. M., & Tayal, R. (2021). Percutaneous versus surgical transaxillary access for transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a propensity-matched analysis of the US experience. EuroIntervention : journal of EuroPCR in collaboration with the Working Group on Interventional Cardiology of the European Society of Cardiology. Advance online publication.
- Chen, C., Dhaduk, N., Hirji, S., Lee, L. Y., Okoh, A. K., Russo, M. J., Siddiqui, E., Soto, C., & Tayal, R. (2021, June). Trends in early discharge and associated costs after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: A national perspective. Innovations (Philadelphia, Pa.). Advance online publication.
- Garg, A., Tayal, R. (2021). Intravascular Lithotripsy (IVL): The New Alternative to Alternative Access. In A Shroff & D Pinto (Eds.). Vascular Access, Management, and Closure Best Practices (pp. 118-123). Washington, DC: The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions (SCAI).
- Heaton J.N., Okoh A.K., Ozturk E., Salemi A., Suh S., Tayal R., & Waxman S. (2021, June). Safety and efficacy of the amplatzer septal occluder: A systematic review and metaanalysis. Cardiovascular revascularization medicine: including molecular interventions.
- Learn the Technique: Percutaneous Axillary Access. PM Swamy, R. Tayal, A. Kaki. Cardiac Interventions Today. Oct 2020, Vol14:5, 56-59.
- Complex Aortic Transit During CTO PCI. Kalra S, Janzer S, Tayal R, Wang J. https://citoday.com/articles/2019-sept-oct/complex-aortic-transit-during-cto-pci
- Chapter 18.2 Common Access Strategies: 2-site vs 1-site Peripheral Access, Short-Term Mechanical Circulatory Support for Cardiogenic Shock. R. Tayal, J. Grewal (2021).
- Vascular Access, Management and Closure: Best Practices 2019. Society of Coronary Angiography and Interventions ALL ACCESS eBook Chapter: Dry Closure of the Axillary Artery. R. Tayal, M. Thawabi. http://www.scai.org/vascular-access-and-closure.
- Transradial Closure of a Giant Ascending Aortic Pseudoaneursym with a Duct Occluder II – A Case Report. Cardiovascular Revascularization Medicine. CRM-D-21-00175. April 2021.
- Temporal trends in patient characteristics, management, and outcomes among patients admitted for primary cardiac tumors: Results from the National Inpatient Sample. J. Heaton, A. Okoh, N. Dhaduk, K. Dang-Ho, R. Tayal, A. Salemi, S. Waxman. American College of Cardiology, May 15-17, 2021.
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology, 2013 - Present
- Fellow, Society of Coronary Angiography and Interventions, 2014 - Present
Valley Medical Group providers accept the following plans.
Patient Ratings & Comments
Comments are gathered from our patient satisfaction surveys.