Bachelor of Science, Major Physiology, McGill University, 2002-2006
Masters of Biomedical Technology, University of Calgary, 2006-2007
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University Of Queensland, 2010 - 2013
Medical Executive Leadership, University of Queensland, 2011-2013
Advanced Open and Endovascular Aortic Super Fellowship, University of Michigan, 2020-2021
- Internship & Residency
Cardiac Surgery, University Of Ottawa Heart Institute, 2014 - 2020
Get to Know Me
What are some of the specific conditions you treat?
Thoracic aortic disease and aortic valve disease, including transcatheter, endovascular and minimally invasive cardiac surgery. Aortic aneurysms associated with connective tissues diseases including Marfan Syndrome, Loeys- Dietz Syndrome, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, FTAAD. Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms. Valvular heart disease – aortic valve repair, bicuspid aortic valve, mitral and tricuspid valve repair. Coronary artery disease and complex redo cardiac surgery.
What techniques or procedures do you use in your practice?
Valve sparing aortic root replacement – David procedure. Ross procedure. On and off pump CABG. Multi-arterial coronary artery grafting. Transcatheter cardio-aortic therapy proficient (TAVR - transcatheter aortic valve replacement and TEVAR - thoracic endovascular aortic repair). Thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm surgery.
Describe some of your professional highlights.
I have published numerous peer reviewed publications on all facets of cardiac surgery, as well as authored several book chapters. I am involved in several randomized clinical trials in cardiac surgery. I was the UOHIAMO AFP Innovations Grant Winner for funding of a multi-center randomized control trial on hypothermic temperatures in aortic surgery as a Co-Investigator.
What would you like patients to know about your approach to care?
I may be a heart surgeon, but I always take a holistic approach to patient care, and I treat all my patients as I would treat my own family. I know that coping with an illness, especially when it is your heart, can be daunting and whatever I can do to mitigate pain and suffering is my goal.
What inspired you to become a doctor?
Having been born with a functional heart murmur I was exposed to the world of medicine at a very young age, and it inspired me to become a heart surgeon and spend my life helping others.
Awards & Accolades
- Heart of Gold Recipient – for exceptional patient care and dedication – University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, 2019.
- UOHIAMO AFP Innovations Grant Winner - $50,000 innovations funding for my multi-center randomized control trial “COMMENCE” – Ottawa, Ontario 2019.
Publications & Research
*Denotes co-first authors
- Fang J., Jabagi H., Lee D.S., & Sun L.Y. (2022, September). Comparison of multidimensional frailty instruments for estimation of long-term patient-centered outcomes after cardiac surgery. JAMA Network Open, 5(9): e2230959. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2022.30959.
- Awad, A. K., Dokollari, A., Jabagi, H., Malin, J. H., Ramlawi, B., Ruhparwar, A., Sá, M. P., Sicouri, S., Torregrossa, G., Van den Eynde, J., & Weymann, A. (2022). Early and late outcomes of surgical aortic valve replacement with sutureless and rapid-deployment valves versus transcatheter aortic valve implantation: Meta-analysis with reconstructed time-to-event data of matched studies. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. Advance online publication.
- Denault, A. Y., Jabagi, H., Mielniczuk, L. M., Nantsios, A., Ruel, M., & Sun, L. Y. (2022). A standardized definition for right ventricular failure in cardiac surgery patients. ESC Heart Failure. Advanced online publication.
- * Jabagi, H., Nantsios, A., Ruel, M., Mielniczuk, L.M., Sun, L. (2021) A Standardized Definition of Right Ventricular Failure in Cardiac Surgery Patients. Under review – JACC: Heart Failure.
- Jabagi, H., Chan, V., Ruel, M., Mesana, T., Boodhwani, M. (2021). Aortic valve repair decreases risks of VRE in AI at 10 years: a propensity score-matched analysis. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2021.06.020.
- Jabagi, H., Juanda, N., Nantsios, A., Boohdwani, M. (2021). Aortic Arch Surgery at 32°C: A Retrospective Analysis of Mild Hypothermia and Unilateral Antegrade Cerebral Perfusion. Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivaa321.
- Jabagi, H., Maharajh, G. (2019) Pulmonary Autograft Anomalous Native Outflow Sinus Leading to Late Tamponade and LVOT Pseudoaneurysm. (2020). World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1177/2150135120938991.
- Jabagi, H., Tran, D., Glineur, D., Rubens, F.D. (2019). Optimal configuration for bypass of the LAD during bilateral internal thoracic artery grafting. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.03.122.
- * Jabagi, H., Ngu, J., Chung, A., Boodhwani, M., Ruel M., Bourke, M., Sun, L. (2020). Defining a Hypotension Threshold in Association with De Novo Renal Replacement Therapy after Cardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology, https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000003254.
- Comeau, G., Chen, K.J., Swirp, M., Russell, D., Chen, Y., Gawad, N., Jabagi, H., Tran, A., Balaa, F. (2020). From music to medicine: Are pianists at an advantage when learning surgical skills? Music & Medicine, An Interdisciplanry Journal, http://dx.doi.org/10.47513/mmd.v12i1.697.
- Jabagi, H., Boodhwani, M. (2019). Concepts of Bicuspid Aortic Valve Repair – A Review (Commentary), The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2019.10.051
- Jabagi, H., Wells, G., Boodhwani, M. (2019). COMMENCE Trial – Comparing hypOtherMic teMperaturEs duriNg hemiarCh surgEry: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Mild vs Moderate Hypothermia on Patient Outcomes in Aortic Hemiarch Surgery with Anterograde Cerebral Perfusion. BioMed Central (BMC): Trials, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-019-3713-9.
- Jabagi, H., Tran, D., Glineur, D., Rubens, F.D. (2019). Abstract: Optimal configuration for bypass of the LAD during BITA grafting. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 35(10); S98-99.
- Jabagi, H., Ruel, M., Sun, L. (2019). Can Biomarkers Provide Right Ventricular Specific Prognostication in Cardiac Surgery? Journal of Cardiac Failure, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2019.09.007.
- Jabagi, H., Boodhwani, M. (2019). Del Nido Cardioplegia – Is it the single shot, magic bullet cardiac surgery has been waiting for? The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2019.06.013.
- Jabagi, H., Chong, A.Y., So, D., Glineur, D., Rubens, F.D. (2019). Native Coronary Disease Progression Post Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Cardiovascular Revascularization Medicine, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carrev.2019.05.017.
- Jabagi, H., Mielniczuk, L.M., Liu, P.P., Ruel, M., Sun, L. (2019). Biomarkers in the Diagnosis, Management, and Prognostication of Perioperative Right Ventricular Failure in Cardiac Surgery – Are We There Yet? Journal of Clinical Medicine: Cardiology, https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm8040559
- Jabagi, H., Chong, A.Y., So, D., Glineur, D., Rubens, F.D. (2018). Abstract: Native Coronary Disease Progression Post Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 34(10); S79-80.
- Jabagi, H., Boodhwani, M., Tran, D., Sun, L., Wells, G., Rubens, F.D. (2018). The Effect of Preoperative Anemia on Patients Undergoing Cardiac Surgery: a Propensity-Matched Analysis. Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semtcvs.2018.09.015.
- Hessian, R., Jabagi, H., Ngu, J., Rubens, F.D. (2018). Coronary Surgery in Women and the Challenges we Face. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjca.2018.01.087.
- Jabagi, H., Tran, D., Hessian, R., Glineur, D., Rubens, F.D. (2017). Impact of gender on arterial revascularization strategies for CABG. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2017.06.054
- Jabagi, H., D. Tran, D. Glineur, F.D. Rubens. (2016). Abstract: Is There Gender Discrimination in Coronary Revascularization? A Single Center Retrospective Analysis of Multiple Arterial Coronary Grafting. Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 32(10): S95.
- Bracey, N.A., Beck, P.L., Muruve, D.A., Hirotaa, S.A., Guo, J., Jabagi, H., Wright, J.R., MacDonald, J.A., Lees-Miller, J.P., Roach, D., Semeniuk, L.M., Duff, H.J. (2013). The Nlrp3 Inflammasome promotes myocardial dysfunction in structural cardiomyopathy through IL-1β. The Journal of Experimental Physiology, https://doi.org/10.1113/expphysiol.2012.068338
- Duff, H.J., Jabagi, H., Howarth, A.G., Lees-Miller, J., Teng, G.Q., Guo, J. (2009). Abstract: Genetically Engineered Models of Human Disease: Epinephrine Challenge in Mice Carrying the Human +/N629D Mutation in the KCNH2 Channel. Circulation, 120:S618.
Valley Medical Group providers accept the following plans.
Patient Ratings & Comments
Comments are gathered from our patient satisfaction surveys.