A Randomized Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, Event-Driven, Multi-Center Pivotal Phase III Clinical Outcome Trial of Efficacy and Safety of the Oral sGC Stimulator Vericiguat in Subjects With Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction (HFrEF) - VerICiguaT Global Study in Subjects With Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction
To evaluate the efficacy of the oral soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC) stimulator MK-1242 (vericiguat) in comparison to placebo on a background of standard of care in increasing the time to first occurrence of the composite of CV death or HF hospitalization in subjects with HFrEF.
- History of chronic HF (New York Heart Association [NYHA] Class II-IV) on standard therapy before qualifying HF decompensation
- Previous HF hospitalization within 6 months prior to randomization or intravenous (IV) diuretic treatment for HF (without hospitalization) within 3 months
- Brain natriuretic peptide (BNP) levels: sinus rhythm-≥ 300 pg/mL; atrial fibrillation-≥ 500 pg/mL and N-terminal pro-Brain Natriuretic Peptide (NT-proBNP) levels: sinus rhythm- ≥ 1000 pg/mL; atrial fibrillation - ≥ 1600 pg/mL within 30 days prior to randomization
- Left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) of <45% assessed within 12 months prior to randomization by any method
- If female, is not of reproductive potential or agrees to avoid becoming pregnant while receiving study drug and for 14 days after the last dose of study drug by complying with one of the following: practice abstinence from heterosexual activity or use (or have her partner use) acceptable contraception during heterosexual activity