Valley wants our patients and community to be on the alert against medical billing scams. Learn how to protect yourself and your personal information from scammers posing as hospital representatives.Read More
Randomized Phase II Clinical Trial of Cisplatin/Carboplatin and Etoposide (CE) Alone or in Combination With Nivolumab as Frontline Therapy for Extensive Stage Small Cell Lung Cancer (ED-SCLC)
- To evaluate the progression-free survival (PFS) of patients with extensive stage small cell lung cancer (ED-SCLC) treated with cisplatin/carboplatin and etoposide (CE) or CE with nivolumab (CEN) as frontline treatment.
- To estimate overall survival of patients with ED-SCLC treated with cisplatin/carboplatin and etoposide (CE) or CE with nivolumab (CEN) as front-line treatment.
- To assess best overall response rate after treatment with CE with or without nivolumab as first line treatment.
- To evaluate the toxicity profile of nivolumab with CE.
- Experimental: Arm A (nivolumab, CE)
- Active Comparator: Arm B (CE)
- Patients must have histologically or cytologically confirmed extensive stage small cell lung cancer and must be a candidate for systemic therapy
- Patients must have measurable disease based on Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) 1.1
- Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status 0 or 1
- Absolute neutrophil count >= 1,500/mm^3 must be obtained =< 7 days prior to protocol registration
- Platelets >= 100,000/mm^3 must be obtained =< 7 days prior to protocol registration
- Leukocytes >= 3000/mm^3 must be obtained =< 7 days prior to protocol registration
- Hemoglobin >= 9 g/dL must be obtained =< 7 days prior to protocol registration
- Total bilirubin =< 1.5 x institutional upper limit of normal (ULN) (except subjects with Gilbert syndrome, who can have total bilirubin < 3 mg/dL) must be obtained =< 7 days prior to protocol registration
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST) (serum glutamic oxaloacetic transaminase [SGOT]) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT) (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase [SGPT]) =< 3 X institutional upper limit of normal (ULN) (=< 5 X if liver function test [LFT] elevations due to known liver metastases) must be obtained =< 7 days prior to protocol registration
- Serum creatinine =< 1.5 x ULN or calculated creatinine clearance > 50 mL/min (using the Cockcroft-Gault formula) must be obtained =< 7 days prior to protocol registration
- Patients are eligible if central nervous system (CNS) metastases are adequately treated and neurological symptoms have returned to baseline or are controlled for at least 2 weeks prior to enrollment; in addition, subjects must be either off corticosteroids, or on a stable or decreasing dose of =< 10 mg daily prednisone (or equivalent); patients with untreated CNS metastases are eligible if they are not symptomatic and the lesions are less than 1 cm in size
- Patients cannot have had prior chemotherapy or biologic therapy for small cell lung cancer for front line treatment; patients receiving prior whole brain radiation cannot register within 7 days after completion of radiation, and must have resolved adverse events attributed to radiation to =< grade 1; a 1-week washout is permitted for palliative radiation (=< 2 weeks of radiotherapy) to non-CNS disease
- Patients who have received prior chemoradiation treatment with chemotherapy regimen including cisplatin or carboplatin/etoposide for limited-stage SCLC are eligible if treated with curative intent at least 6 months since last treatment from diagnosis of extensive-stage SCLC
- Patients may not be receiving any other investigational agents while on study