April 19, 2017— The Valley Hospital Sports Institute will host a free concussion awareness seminar for coaches, parents, and recreation/athletic directors on Tuesday, June 13, from 7 to 9 p.m. in the The Valley Hospital Auditorium.
Signs and symptoms of a concussion can show up right after the injury, or may not appear or be noticed until days or weeks after the injury. Concussion severity varies widely, and the number of signs and symptoms vary as well. No concussion is the same.
The event will be hosted by a panel of certified athletic trainers on staff at Valley’s Sports Institute:
- Don Tomaszewski, MS, ATC, Director, The Valley Hospital Sports Institute
- Karen Karosy, M.Ed., ATC, Athletic Trainer at Indian Hills High School
- Sarah Edge, MS., Athletic Trainer at Ramapo High School
- Rich Raiani, MS., Athletic Trainer at Mahwah High School
Guest speakers will include:
- Joseph Rempson, M.D., Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Overlook Hospital
- Thomas Bottiglieri, D.O. ,Family and Sports Medicine, Valley Hospital, Columbia UMC
- Don Tomaszewski, MS, ATC., Director of Sports Medicine & Outpatient Rehab.
Some of the topics that will be covered include the communication and roles of people in caring for an athlete with concussion, what is known about concussions today and guidelines for returning to play following a concussion. Participants will learn all about the Concussion Management Program at The Valley Hospital Sports Institute and the ImPACT Concussion Management Test. There will be a Q&A session and information and resources available on concussion awareness and management. Attendees will receive a certificate of participation.
Space is limited. To register for the free seminar, please call 1-800-VALLEY-1 (1-800-825-5391).
The Valley Hospital Sports Institute is an ImPACT testing provider. The ImPACT Concussion Management Test is an innovative computerized evaluation system that assesses the effects and severity of a concussion and helps determine when it is safe for an athlete to return to contact sports following a concussion. For more information about ImPACT testing, please call the Sports Institute at 201-447-8133 or visit us on the web at www.ValleyHealth.com/Events