A major component of The Valley Hospital Neuroscience Center of Excellence, our Neurovascular Interventional Laboratory (NVIL) is one of the tri-state region’s leading facilities for the diagnosis and minimally invasive endovascular treatment of stroke and other neurologic conditions, peripheral artery disease, and other disorders of the brain, neck, spine, and circulatory system. Our NVIL is fully staffed Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. We are on call 24/7 for emergencies.
Our NVIL comprises two angiography suites in the OR, which can easily be transformed for “open” procedures if necessary. These rooms also enable surgeons and neurointerventionalists to collaborate on cases without moving patients. Our ability to perform a variety of today’s most promising life-saving treatments for stroke patients is a strong reason why Valley is designated a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and has been awarded other notable distinctions from national benchmarking organizations.
Our NVIL allows for the timely, expert diagnosis and treatment of the following:
- ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke
- peripheral artery disease
- thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms
- arteriovenous malformation (AVM)
- carotid artery blockages
- deep vein thrombosis
- brain and neck tumors
- liver tumors
- aortic valvular disease
- stroke prevention for atrial fibrillation
Procedures we perform within the NVIL include the following:
- acute stroke interventions, including clot retrieval and removal
- mechanical thrombectomy and thrombolysis of acute arterial occlusions or deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- aneurysm repair with coils
- AVM gluing
- angioplasty, coiling, and stenting for peripheral artery disease
- insertion of nephrostomy and biliary tubes
- chemoembolization of liver tumors
- endovascular grafting of thoracic and “triple A” aneurysms
- transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- LARIAT procedure (stroke prevention in patients with AFib)
Our Region’s First Biplane Angiography System
Our hybrid room’s biplane angiography system, the first in Bergen/Passaic counties, produces highly detailed, three-dimensional two-sided views (front to back and side to side) of blood vessels to the brain and deep within the brain to aid physicians in diagnosing conditions of the brain and neck. Our biplane system benefits patients by:
- reducing the amount of contrast material needed
- improving visualization
- shortening the time of neurologic angiograms
Our Artis Zeego® Syste
Our Artis Zeego® angiography system utilizes a robotic C-arm to allow for multiple positioning of the patient to obtain highly detailed images of the internal organs and peripheral vascular system from various sides.
The NVIL is led by Sean Lavine, M.D., Director of Neurointerventional Services. Physicians who perform procedures in the suite include neurointerventionalists, interventional neuroradiologists, neurosurgeons, interventional radiologists, vascular surgeons, electrophysiologists, cardiologists, and cardiac surgeons. The lab’s dedicated staff includes a nursing supervisor, a radiologic technologist supervisor, registered nurses, and radiologic technologists. Depending on the procedure, we may be joined by other physicians, nurses, and technological personnel. Our entire NVIL staff participates in clinical research to evaluate the safety and efficacy of new treatments and devices.
Our Capacity and Hours
In 2013, a total of 1,281 patients were evaluated and treated in our NVIL. Elective procedures are scheduled Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. We are on call 24/7 to accommodate emergencies.
For more information or to schedule a patient, please call 201-447-8723.