Meet the Doulas of The Valley Hospital
Click here to view our doula videos.
Click here for a printer-friendly, one-page flyer on Valley's Birth Doula Program.
Reassuring Support When You Need it Most
The birth of your baby is a very exciting event in your life. Yet, your labor and delivery can be a long and challenging journey. Continuous professional support during labor can go a long way toward easing the stress of labor and reassuring both the mother and the birth partner that labor is progressing normally.
To be sure you’ll get the kind of help you need during labor, consider a birth doula.
What is a Doula?
A birth doula is a woman trained and experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to a woman and her partner during labor, birth and the immediate postpartum period. A relatively new addition to modern maternity units, the concept of a doula actually stems from an age-old tradition of women being surrounded and cared for by other women during childbirth.
How does a Doula Differ from a Labor Coach?
A doula does not replace the love and support that a husband or birth partner provides during labor and childbirth. Rather, the doula serves as a resource for both the laboring woman and the birth partner and can help the birth partner participate more fully in the process.
How can a Valley Hospital Doula Assist Me during Labor & Delivery?
Doulas can help in many ways. For example, a doula:
- provides emotional support by helping with relaxation techniques, encouraging a positive attitude, guiding you through rough moments and encouraging both you and your partner during labor and delivery.
- stays with you throughout labor and birth providing uninterrupted support to you and your partner.
- provides physical support by suggesting positions and strategies to enhance labor progress or minimize discomfort.
- knows what to do during long or difficult labors. She can give suggestions and encouragement to help you cope and help your labor to progress.
- complements the medical and nursing staff by providing nurturing care and support from the minute you enter the hospital through the early post partum period.
Where to learn more?
For more information about the services and fees associated with The Valley Hospital’s doula program, please email email@example.com or call 201-291-6151.
To request a doula for your labor and delivery, please click here to read and fill out the consent and payment forms.
Add a doula to your baby shower wish list. Gift certificates are available. Call the Center for Family Education for more information at 201-291-6151.